As a joint program under Mission Innovation, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, and the International Energy Agency (IEA) will be signing the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Enhancing Innovation for the Clean Energy Transition.
The MoU aims to deepen their co-operation in support of clean energy innovation to accelerate the research, development, and demonstration (RD&D) of clean energy technologies in India and recognize the need to support the generation of data for policymaking and improve knowledge of good policy practice for innovation in India and around the world.
Signing of above MoU between DBT and IEA will be held on 30th August, 2018 at 10:30-11:00 AM in the presence of Hon’ble Minister, Dr. Harsh Vardhan, at Indira Paryavaran Bhavan, Jor Bagh Road, Ali Ganj, Lodi Colony, New Delhi.
Areas of Co-operation according to MoU
The areas of co-operation between the Parties under this MoU may include the following:
- sharing of analysis and policy recommendations related to energy RD&D;
- exchanging experiences and best practices of mapping, tracking and/or estimating public funding with the objective of developing appropriate data collection formats for use in data collection and analysis for India;
- developing a methodology for mapping and estimating private sector investment in energy RD&D in India;
- identifying other relevant sources of finance for energy innovation in India, such as multilateral financial institutions and investors in early-stage innovative enterprises (e.g. venture capital funds);
- conducting analysis of policy environments that will facilitate and catalyze RD&D related to new energy technologies in India;
- jointly identifying possible priority areas for accelerating energy innovation, including investment opportunities and supportive policy actions in line with the goals of Mission Innovation;
- encouraging and facilitating participation by the Parties’ representatives in energy innovation and energy RD&D seminars, workshops and meetings organised or hosted by one or both of the Parties or India’s DBT Mission Innovation unit, as appropriate;
- disseminating good energy innovation and energy RD&D practice in India to other countries, as relevant;
- facilitating participation of MST and other relevant Indian entities in IEA Technology Collaboration Programmes (TCPs); and
- any other work areas of collaboration which might be mutually agreed.
Forms of Cooperation according to MoU
The Parties’ co-operation under this MoU will be co-ordinated for MST by the Mission Innovation India Unit within the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and for the IEA by its International Partnership and Initiatives Unit (IPI).
Activities under this MoU may be undertaken by experts or analysts from the Parties or from third-party organisations, as agreed jointly between the Parties depending on the competences required. The co-operation may take the following forms:
- organising joint workshops at the national, regional and international level, including capacity building for collection and analysis of public RD&D funding in India;
- researching and sharing data, analysis, tracking and modelling tools;
- joint analysis on mutually agreed topics;
- jointly developing training and capacity building materials;
- informing each other about relevant activities, outputs, accomplishments and facilitating mutually beneficial interactions; and
- any other forms of collaboration which might be mutually agreed.