Functional Biotechnology Parks and Incubation Centres
Lucknow Biotechnology Park
The Biotechnology Park, Lucknow, has been set up jointly by the Department of Biotechnology Govt. of India & Department of Science and Technology, Government of Uttar Pradesh. The Park is located in the City of ‘Nawabs’ ‑ now transformed to a Biotechnology City, decorates Lucknow with a futuristic state of the art facility for biotechnology led enterprises.
- It is the only functional Biotechnology Park in North India, serving the State of Uttar Pradesh to bring biotechnology as the way of cultivating crops, living a healthy life and enriching the skills for boosting biotech industry.
- The park has changed the paradigm of transferring biotechnology advancements from laboratory to field and made humble contribution in initiating biotechnology related policy changes in the state.
- Biotech Park has Department of Scientific and Industrial Research (DSIR) recognition and is registered under National Science & Technology Entrepreneurship Development Board (NSTEDB), New Delhi that accords approval for exemption of Service Tax to Park and its incubatees. The Incubator – I & II of Biotech Park are ISO 14001:2015 certified and offer state of the art facilities to startups for incubation and development of innovation led, high growth and knowledge based bio-business and infrastructure facilities for setting biotech industries.
- The Biotech Park facilities include NABL and AYUSH accredited analytical & quality assurance laboratory, molecular & microbiology laboratories; NCS-TCP certified plant tissue culture unit, biopesticides & biofertilizers units and GLP compliant solvent extraction pilot plant with downstream process facility.
- The park has attracted investment of more than Rs. 30 crores through its 28 incubatee companies and is a showcase of innovation industries and a model of active collaboration between industries, research institutes and academia.
TIDCO Centre for Life Sciences (TICEL) BioPark, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Biotechnology Incubation Centre, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- The Park has been established by CSIR-IICT and Govt. of AP with support from DBT. A Biotech Incubation Centre has been set up at ALEXANDRIA KNOWLEDGE Park, Genome Valley, Hyderabad. After the sanctioning of the project in March, 2004, the Government of Andhra Pradesh (GOAP) constituted a Core Committee of Biotechnology Incubation Centre (BTIC) which recommended a high level Programme Management Committee (PMC) and a Technical Advisory and Resource Group (TARG) to decide the organization management structure and operational arrangements, monitor and guide the progress of BTIC implementation. The Society for Biotechnology Incubation Centre (SBTIC) was registered in 2005.Park started operations from 2009.
- World class facilities have been created for use by entrepreneurs on use and pay basis. There are 12 labs of 350 sq. ft each which is given out to companies.Business centre approach is being used in this Park and 9 companies are operating, 74 scientists are working there at present.
DBT has provided support for current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) compliance for Pilot plant facilities, required for quality manufacturing and for minimizing contamination. The biotechnology incubator facility would have research laboratories, knowledge based service centres and utility generation facilities. It is mainly designed for development and scale up of bio processes and technologies. A pre-BTIC Process Generator (PBPG) component of BTIC was set up at IICT, Hyderabad to act as a front end facility to provide lab and bench scale process technologies for biotech processes.
The Golden Jubilee Biotech Park for Women, Siruseri, Chennai
- The park was established by Govt. of Tamilnadu at Siruseri, Kanchipuram District with support from DBTand is fully functionalsince 2001. The park was registered as a Society under the Tamil Nadu Society’s Registration Act 1975. It is a joint project of the Government of Tamil Nadu and DBT.
- The Park has a Lab facility for providing Quality testing and Training programs for providing hands-on experience and to generate revenue streams for the Park. It is an entrepreneurial facility for women Scientists aided with managerial skills and capable of making small-scale investment, to independently take up the functioning of the lab.
- At present the park is fully occupied. 80% comprises of 1st generation entrepreneurs. All entrepreneurs are women. In all there are 150 workers which includes 50-60% of women both skilled/unskilled.The total annual turnover is Rs. 5 Cr.
- The production units that have been set up are for herbal cosmetics, bio-pesticides, bio-fertilizers, spice fortified with herbs, and essential oil, ready to eat snacks etc. An amount of Rs. 400 lakhs has been provided by the Department of Biotechnology.
ONGOING PROJECTS: Biotechnology Parks and Incubation Centres
Guwahati Biotech Park Technology Incubation Centre (GBPIC)
- The project of setting up of Guwahati Biotech Park Technology Incubation Centre has been sanctioned by the DBT at a total cost of Rs.27.99 crores for a period of three years. An amount of Rs.24.379 crores has been released as first year grant.
- Government of Assam (GoA) has recently allotted a land measuring 17 acres to Guwahati Biotech Park in proximity to IIT Guwahati for setting up of GBPIC. Another 7.5 acres of land near the allotted land has been identified and likely to be allotted soon to GBP. GoA has given a budgetary support of Rs 3.82 Cr for procurement of land and 2.2 Cr for construction of perimeter fencing and land development cost for the permanent campus of Guwahati Biotech Park in the F.Y. 2013-14.
- Existing building of IITG has been renovated to make it suitable for housing the sophisticated instruments (purchased with the funding from GBPIC project). Facilities include 8 Modular Laboratories, Specialized & Support Facilities. NECTAR N/E application centre-Nest programme is being proposed. Ecosystem needs to be created using natural products built on strengths. The progress of the park is regularly monitored by GBPIC Management Committee and Technical Advisory Committee.
KINFRA Biotech Park, Kerala
- The proposal for setting up of a Biotechnology Incubator at Kerala Biotechnology Park was sanctioned in March 2005 at a total cost of Rs.23.18 crores. The share of DBT is Rs. 11.00 crores and the rest is to be contributed by the State Government. An amount of Rs.1.5 crores has been released so far by the DBT.
- Civil works of the Biotechnology Incubation Centre have been been completed at a cost of Rs.5.60 crores. Various Utilities have been created in the building, which has a built up area of 50,000 sq. Feet with 10 modular laboratory spaces of approx 1000 sq.ft each and the office spaces. Besides these spaces, there is provision for setting up a central Instrumentation Facility, Medicinal Plant Extraction Facility, Micro Propagation Facility and Fermentation Facility. 20 acres land is available for lease to industries.
- The Park provides laboratory infrastructure for industries to incubate. They have labs with commercial facilities. 6 units are under construction at present.
Bangalore Biotechnology Park
- The project was sanctioned at a total Project Cost ofRs 32.26 Cr; with KBITS contribution ofRs 17.81 Cr and DBT Contribution of Rs 14.45 Cr. DBT has already disbursed Rs 11.13 Cr and the total Expenditure so far has beenRs 7.85 Cr.
- Civil Construction (Nirmithi Kendra) is~80% complete with 25 Incubation suites ranging from 200 sft to 700 sft. Also includes Common Instrumentation facility, Mammalian and Plant tissue culture, Dark room/Cold room/Utilities, Animal house/Chemical store, Cafetaria/Meeting rooms/Conference rooms etc.
- Process has started for separate Entity (section 25 Co) to be formed. To operationalize within 6 months’ time. Project Management Committee (PMC) and Technical Advisory and Resource group formed (TARG).
- Services include plug-and-play, infrastructure lab space and common equipments, high end equipments and facilities, mentorship, funding, networking, branding, legal, finance and accounting.
- Role in Cluster Development
- Facilitate Bio Helix Park Development by attracting big and medium sized companies
- Linkages with Public R&D and academic Institutions- IBAB, CHG
- Advocacy and policy research
- Creation of value networks
Odisha Biotechnology Park
- The DBT, GoI has sanctioned an amount of Rs. 2.00 Cr during 2009-10 as initial grant for the BTIC.One time ACA (Rs. 200.00 Lacs) under State Plan. Total expenditure: Rs. 782.638 Lacs.
- BTIC – In 2013. Society for Development of Biotechnology in Odisha to own the BTIC. 10 Incubator modules to be structured in. Focus on Training Program & GMP quality facility.
- The facility is developed in Bhubaneswar on a land parcel of 64.61 Acres, which include Bio Tech Incubation Centre – 9.75 Acres
Bio-Tech Corridor – 25 Acres
IT Corridor – 15 Acres
Commercial space – 14.86 Acres
- Shall be developed in two phases. The facility shall have BT, Pharma and IT industries. M/s Bharat Biotech International Limited selected as Project Developer after competitive bidding process. Lease cum development agreement signed with M/s Odisha Bio Tech Park.
An Expert Committee on Biotech Parks and Incubators was constituted under the Co-Chairmanship of Dr. Yogeshwar Rao and Dr. Utkarsh Palnitkar to review the progress of ongoing projects and also to evaluate new proposals for setting up BT Parks in various states.
The committee evaluated and monitored the completed projects of Lucknow Biotech Park, BTIC Hyderabad Biotechnology Park, ongoing projects like TICEL Bio Park (Chennai), Guwahati Biotech Park, Odisha Biotechnology Park, Kerala Biotechnology Park and Bangalore Biotechnology Park.
The committee also deliberated upon the proposals which have been received recently from the states of Madhya Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Gujarat, West Bengal and Chhattisgarh during the meeting of EC held on December 24, 2013.
These park proposals are at preliminary stages and the cCommittee has advised proposers to revise their respective proposals for creation of viable Biotechnology Parks in the country.