The second Bioenergy Centre in partnership with Indian Oil Corporation Ltd was established in late 2011 which has the focus on
- Lignocellulosic based bio-fuels
- Algal research
- Gas Fermentation
- Life cycle analysis
Lignocellulosic based bio-fuels
- Development of new and economical pre-treatment process
- Feedstock selection/development and characterisation
- Process optimisation for saccharification/ Fermentation and scale up
- Bio-assisted / Chemical lignin de-polymerization and Lignin value addition
- Scale-up studies on algal cultivation and harvesting
- Syngas fermentation for biofuels
Life cycle analysis
Achievments of this Centre are:
This centre has installed and commissioned a lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol pilot plant in June 2012 under a collaborative agreement with National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), USA.
This multipurpose pilot plant is capable for pre-treatment operation for multiple feed (wheat straw, rice straw, bagasse, cotton stalk, woody biomass etc) under a wide range of operating conditions (designed for 25 bar and 250°C) and pre-treatment chemicals usage (acid, alkali and aqueous ammonium hydroxide).
The plant has a continuous pilot scale pre-treatment system with effective throughput rate of five kg of dry feedstock/hr and capabilities of further evaluation of pretreated biomass for conditioning, enzymatic hydrolysis, and fermentation in a batch configuration at relatively smaller volumes. Also in house designed steam explosion unit has been commissioned.
Steam explosion at IOCL Centre, Faridabad